FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions)
(let us know if you have a question not answered here):
What is a CSA share?
It’s a box of vegetables *typically picked within 24 hrs* on a given week of the growing season that is reserved for CSA members. Here’s how it works:
- You pay a CSA membership fee, either in total upfront or in weekly installments (with a 25% initial deposit)
- We harvest the vegetables and get them ready for pickup
- You pick up your veggies once a week or biweekly
- We will deliver to your door for a $5 weekly fee
How big are the shares?
Approximately enough for a couple, or 2-3 people, depending how often you eat veggies.
Approximately enough for a family of 4 (2 adults, 2 kids) who love vegetables and cook at home a fair amount. See some pics below or look at our Facebook page to get a general sense of the size of a share.
How long is the season?
May – June6 weeksSmall or Large Shares availableWeekly or biweekly On farm pickup: Thursday from 4-8 on the farmDelivery: Thursday night or Friday
July – Thanksgiving16 weeksSmall or Large Shares availableWeekly or biweekly On farm pickup: Thursday from 4-8 on the farmDelivery: Thursday night or Friday
Thanksgiving – Christmas10 weeksSmall or Large Shares availableWeekly or biweekly On farm pickup: Thursday from 4-8 on the farmDelivery: Thursday night or Friday
When can I pick up my CSA shares?
- ST. THOMAS: Every Thursday afternoon between 4 pm and 8 pm at the farm. You will have a set amount of a selection of vegetables in your box. For some choices you may be able to take more or trade for items you don’t want.
- DELIVERY: Thursday night or Friday
Will the vegetables be organic?
Yes, we follow all organic practices. We are not (yet) certified but plan to be in the future.
What vegetables will you grow for the shares?
Crops are divided roughly into 3 categories but in reality it’s not quite so neat. It will depend when things are ready (so for example you won’t get sweet potatoes in June!) but here is the breakdown: Major Veggies (almost every week when ready): carrots, tomatoes, cucumbers, lettuce, spinach (and other greens), peppers, zucchini, broccoli, beans, potatoes Minor Veggies & Herbs (every couple weeks when ready): peas, onions, garlic, beets, radishes, herbs (dill, basil, parsley, cilantro), cabbage, kohlrabi, squash, cauliflower, kale, brussel sprouts, sweet potato Occasionals (once or twice during the season or free choice on pickup day): Chinese cabbage, eggplant, fennel, pumpkin, swiss chard, celeriac, melon, watermelon, tomatillo, ground cherry, strawberries, raspberries, other experimental crops, the list goes on!…
How do I pay for the box?
Payments can be made either 1) in total upfront* or 2) with 25% down, 25% at the first share, and the balance taken weekly til the end of the season.
The system only takes credit card. What if I prefer to pay by cash/cheque/e-transfer etc...?
If you cannot pay by credit card, please go ahead and start the signup process online. Choose your options but instead of checking out, simply deliver your cash/cheque/e-transfer payment to us and we will complete the order for you. If you need assistance please reach out at firstname.lastname@example.org
What else does joining the CSA get me?
This is the best part! CSA members have an opportunity to connect with where their food comes from:
- CSA community: Members will have a chance to connect with the farmers and other members and form a community. We will have socializing events like pot-lucks and such throughout the season to help get to know each other and give members a chance to see the farm close up.
- Extra products for sale on the farm: eggs from free-range, organically fed chickens, maple syrup from our farm and seasonal products like specialty pumpkins
- Extras available from time to time: pick your own raspberries, strawberries as well as opportunities for larger shares of labour intensive crops (e.g. green beans)
Can you deliver to my door?
YES!! When you sign up for your share you can select delivery and specify your location! The fee for this service is approx $5/week.