FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions)
(let us know if you have a question not answered here):
What is a CSA share?
It’s a box of vegetables *typically picked within 24 hrs* on a given week of the growing season that is reserved for CSA members. Here’s how it works:
- You pay a CSA membership fee, upfront for the season or in two installments
- We harvest the vegetables and get them ready for pickup
- You pick up your veggies once a week
This year, we are doing something different for our London members: Members will receive a flat amount of credit rather than a standard pre-picked box. Exclusively for members: a portion of high-value items will be reserved until 11 am. Use any amount of credit each week throughout the season. This allows you to skip weeks that you are away, or take more when you need it!
How big are the shares?
Approximately enough for a family of 4 (2 adults, 2 kids) who love vegetables and cook at home a fair amount. See some pics below or look at our Facebook page to get a general sense of the size of a share.
That seems like too much. Can I get a half-share instead?
Yes! The cost will be approximately half and you will pick up your box once every TWO weeks instead of every week. If you are a London member, your credit at the market stand will be roughly half of that of a full share
How long is the season?
Begins: April 8, 2017 Lasts: 9 weeks Cost: $270
Oct-Dec 2017; More details to follow. Currently the fall season is not available for sign-up on its own.
When can I pick up my CSA shares?
- For the SPRING season:
- ST. THOMAS: Every Saturday morning between 9 am and 12 pm at the farm. You will have a set amount of a selection of vegetables in your box. For some choices you may be able to take more or trade for items you don’t want.
- For the SUMMER season:
- ST. THOMAS: Every Tuesday afternoon between 4 pm and 8 pm at the farm. You will have a set amount of a selection of vegetables in your box. For some choices you may be able to take more or trade for items you don’t want.
- LONDON: Every Saturday there will be pickup available at the Western Fair Market during operating hours.
Will the vegetables be organic?
Yes, we follow all organic practices. We are not (yet) certified but plan to be in the future.
What vegetables will you grow for the shares?
Crops are divided roughly into 3 categories but in reality it’s not quite so neat. It will depend when things are ready (so for example you won’t get sweet potatoes in June!) but here is the breakdown:
Major Veggies (almost every week when ready): carrots, tomatoes, cucumbers, lettuce, spinach (and other greens), peppers, zucchini, broccoli, beans, potatoes
Minor Veggies & Herbs (every couple weeks when ready): peas, onions, garlic, beets, radishes, herbs (dill, basil, parsley, cilantro), cabbage, kohlrabi, squash, cauliflower, kale, brussel sprouts, sweet potato
Occasionals (once or twice during the season or free choice on pickup day): Chinese cabbage, eggplant, fennel, pumpkin, swiss chard, celeriac, melon, watermelon, tomatillo, ground cherry, strawberries, raspberries, other experimental crops, the list goes on!…
How do I pay for the box?
We ask for a $50 deposit upfront at the beginning of the season, and the balance to be paid in at most 2 installments at the start of the season and after 10 weeks. Payments can be made by cash, cheque, or e-transfer.
What else does joining the CSA get me?
This is the best part! CSA members have an opportunity to connect with where their food comes from:
- CSA community: Members will have a chance to connect with the farmers and other members and form a community. We will have socializing events like pot-lucks and such throughout the season to help get to know each other and give members a chance to see the farm close up.
- Extra products for sale on the farm: eggs from free-range, organically fed chickens, maple syrup from our farm and seasonal products like specialty pumpkins
- Extras available from time to time: pick your own raspberries, strawberries as well as opportunities for larger shares of labour intensive crops (e.g. green beans)
What are your current London locations?
This year, London pick-up will only take place at Western Fair Farmer’s and Artisan’s market
Can you deliver to my door?
Sadly we cannot offer personal home delivery at this time.